Shoulder & Upper Back Pain
Shoulder pain and upper back pain can be a major factor in disrupting a person's daily activities. The shoulders and upper back contain several muscles, ligaments, nerves, and bones that can cause pain when injured from an auto accident. The shoulder is a complex joint.
There are several injuries and conditions that may result from an auto accident, such as, a dislocated shoulder, strained muscles in the neck, and even a herniated disk in the cervical area of the spine. The spinal cord is the most crucial area in the upper back that may have serious repercussions if not treated properly.
If suffering from shoulder and upper back pain, damage to a part of the cervical spine may have occurred during the auto accident. Once the pain begins, a patient's first priority should be to schedule an evaluation. We may be able to treat many conditions involving the spine and back, and there is no reason for the pain to continue after being treated regularly. If the shoulder injury is serious we get you to our trusted orthopedic physician, many times the same day.
What Can Cause Shoulder & Upper Back Pain?
Here are some of the most common injuries that can result from an auto accident.
- Broken collarbone: Side impact collisions can cause the collarbone to break.
- Broken shoulder blade: A shoulder blade injury is usually associated with relatively forceful trauma.
- Rotator cuff injuries: The rotator cuff can be injured from the seatbelt restraint.
- Shoulder or A-C separation: The collarbone and shoulder blade can be injured when the ligament connecting them is stretched or torn in an car accident.
- Whiplash injury: Ligament and muscle strain are results of whiplash and are caused by sudden acceleration or deceleration, as in an auto accident.
Don't let shoulder and upper back pain prevent you from participating in life! Schedule your free consultation today.